from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A member of the second highest of the four castes of traditional Indian society, responsible for upholding justice and social harmony, and including people in governing and military positions.
- adj. Of or relating to the caste of Kshatriyas.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The military caste, the second of the four great Hindu castes; also, a member of that caste. See caste.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The second or military caste in the social system of the Brahmanic Hindus, the special duties of the members of which are bravery, generosity, rectitude, and honorable conduct generally.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the royal or warrior Hindu caste
Sanskrit kṣatriyaḥ, from kṣatram, rule, power.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)