from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A habitational surname.
- proper n. A male given name, transferred from the surname.
- proper n. A female given name, transferred from the surname
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sound; a strait: often used in the plural: as, the Kyles of Bute.
- n. A lamp of primitive pattern, designed to be suspended in an open fireplace.
From several places in Scotland and Northern Ireland, derived from Gaelic caol, narrows. (Wiktionary)