from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A variety of grape originating in southern France and Italy.
- n. A dry red wine made from this grape.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A dry red wine of a certain French type.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. black wine grape originally from the region of Bordeaux
- n. dry red wine made from a grape grown widely in Bordeaux and California
French, young blackbird, merlot, diminutive of merle, blackbird (probably from the color of the grape), from Old French; see merle1.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)