from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The largest city in New York State, a metropolis extending into neighboring New Jersey state
- proper n. A state of the United States of America and former colony
- adj. Of a style, particularly of food, originating in New York.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of the British colonies that formed the United States
- n. the largest city in New York State and in the United States; located in southeastern New York at the mouth of the Hudson river; a major financial and cultural center
- n. a Mid-Atlantic state; one of the original 13 colonies
New + York (city in northern England, from Latin Eboracum). (Wiktionary)