from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic genus within the tribe Nigelleae — of flowering plants with distinctive finely divided leaves, the nigella..
- proper n. A female given name.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any plant of the genus Nigella.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A genus of ornamental plants of the polypetalous order Ranunculaceæ, the tribe Helleboreæ, and the subtribe Isopyreæ, known by the united carpels forming a compound ovary.
- n. A plant of the genus Nigella; also some other plants, especially with a qualifying word.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any plant of the genus Nigella
A 19th century flower name from nigella. Compare also the male given name Nigel. (Wiktionary)