American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- The islands of the southern, western, and central Pacific Ocean, including Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia. The term is sometimes extended to encompass Australia, New Zealand, and the Malay Archipelago.
- n. A geographical region composed of many islands (Melanesia, Micronesia, and Polynesia) plus Australasia. It is located between Asia, Antarctica and the Americas.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A large group of islands in the south Pacific sometimes including Australasia and the Malay Archipelago.
- n. a large group of islands in the south Pacific including Melanesia and Micronesia and Polynesia (and sometimes Australasia and the Malay Archipelago)
- From French Océanie, coined circa 1812 by geographer Conrad Malte-Brun, from the Ancient Greek Ὠκεανός (Ōkeanos, "Oceanus") (Wiktionary)
“Oceania is a name for the groups of islands in the southern and central areas of which ocean?”
“Miller, who just launched an ecologically sustainable foundation in Oceania as a global artist-in-residence program, is concerned about the world we live in.”
“Every day, the news from Iraq feels like splashes on the telescreens in Oceania," Thomas Meehan remarks, with a touch of fury in his voice.”
“Victory against Oceania is just around the corner ...”
“Oceania is already taking shape: essentially, the English-speaking world of North America, Britain ( "Airstrip One" in Orwell's novel), and Australasia.”
“All aspects of life in Oceania are permeated with the principles of "Ingsoc," or English Socialism in Newspeak.”
“Nonetheless, such an interpretation does not quite fit: Ingsoc has been established in Oceania by internal revolution and not by military invasion or external pressure.”
“We know, for instance, what he would think of the National Lottery, since one existed in Oceania: for the Proles, it was 'their delight, their folly, their anodyne, their intellectual stimulant'.”
“Who controls the past', ran the Party slogan in Oceania, 'controls the future: and who controls the present controls the past'.”
“The citizen of Oceania is not allowed to know anything of the tenets of the other two philosophies, but he is taught to execrate them as barbarous outrages upon morality and common sense.”
‘Oceania’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for Oceania.