from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of southeast Australia on an inlet of the Tasman Sea. The largest city in Australia, it is the country's chief port and main cultural and financial center. Population: 4,120,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A surname, a spelling variant of Sidney.
- proper n. A male given name transferred from the surname.
- proper n. A female given name transferred from the surname.
- proper n. A seaport and the state capital of New South Wales, Australia.
- proper n. A former city, now part of the amalgamated Cape Breton Regional Municipality on Cape Breton Island in the province of Nova Scotia, Canada.
- proper n. Dharuk, an Aboriginal language of Australia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the largest Australian city located in southeastern Australia on the Tasman Sea; state capital of New South Wales; Australia's chief port
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - MAY 05: Models prepare backstage ahead of the Bianca Spender collection show on the third day of Rosemount Australian Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2010/11 at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, Circular Quay on May 5, 2010 in Sydney, Australia.
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - MAY 05: A model showcases designs by Konstantina Mittas on the catwalk on the third day of Rosemount Australian Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2010/11 at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, Circular Quay on May 5, 2010 in Sydney, Australia.
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - MAY 05: A model showcases designs by Mawlai during the Men's & Women's Ready To Wear 3 show on the catwalk on the third day of Rosemount Australian Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2010/11 at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, Circular Quay on May 5, 2010 in Sydney, Australia.
SYDNEY By Sam Holmes The brick bungalows along the streets in the Sydney suburb of Cabramatta wouldn't look out of place in many of the city's neighborhoods -- except some are fronted by big statues of guardian lions.
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - JULY 19: His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI dedicates a new altar and celebrates Holy Mass with Australian bishops, seminarians and male and female novices in St Mary's Cathedral as part of the events for World Youth Day on July 19, 2008 in Sydney, Australia.
Dr Leichhardt, to whom the lion's share was with justice awarded, received it at a meeting held in the School of Arts at Sydney, of which an account is given in the _Sydney Herald_ under the head of "The Leichhardt Testimonial," and where Dr Nicholson, speaker of the Legislative Council, addressed the intrepid traveller, in a strain of high and well-merited eulogium.
July 12th, 2010 SYDNEY - Facebook has retracted its ban over images of a nipple-flashing doll used by a Sydney jewellery business.
SYDNEY, Aug 5, 2010 (AFP) -- Australia will play Argentina in a four-Test series in Perth and Sydney next month, Hockey Australia said on Thursday.
Yousuf's 'defensive' captaincy, lack of team discipline blamed for Pak's Oz debacle Australia beat Pakistan by 2 runs to complete a summer clean-sweep February 10th, 2010 more images more images more images SYDNEY - Western Australia batsman Adam Voges and Tasmanian wicketkeeper Tim Paine have been named in the Australian squad for games three and four of the one-day international series against the West Indies in Sydney and Brisbane, the Sydney Morning Herald reports.
SYDNEY (Reuters Life!) - Staff at the Jenolan Caves west of Sydney have added a new out-of-this-world attraction -- a tour in the Star Trek language Klingon.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.