from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A king of ancient Egypt.
- n. A tyrant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. Any specific pharaoh.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A title by which the sovereigns of ancient Egypt were designated.
- n. See Faro.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A title given by the Hebrews to the ancient kings of Egypt; hence, an Egyptian sovereign.
- n. [lowercase] A corrupt form faro.
- n. [lowercase] A very strong ale or beer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the title of the ancient Egyptian kings
Middle English Pharao, from Late Latin Pharaō, from Greek, from Hebrew par'ō, from Egyptian pr-'' : pr, house + '', great.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)