from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large straw or felt hat with a broad brim and tall crown, worn especially in Mexico and the American Southwest.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hat of a particular kind, with a high conical or cylindrical crown and a saucer-shaped brim, highly embroidered, made of plush felt.
- n. A mixed drink with tequila, named after the hat.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of broad-brimmed hat, worn in Spain and in Spanish America.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A broad-brimmed felt hat, of Spanish origin, but now widely used throughout the continent of America.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a straw hat with a tall crown and broad brim; worn in American southwest and in Mexico
- n. one of the islands of Saint Christopher-Nevis
Spanish, perhaps from sombra, shade, probably from sombrar, to shade, from Late Latin subumbrāre, to cast a shadow; see somber.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish sombrero ("hat"), from sombra ("shadow, shade") + -ero, literally, "shade-maker." (Wiktionary)