from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of southwest Maine on an arm of the Gulf of Maine south of Lewiston. Settled c. 1632, it became a commercial center in the 17th century and was state capital from 1820 to 1832. It is the largest city in the state. Population: 63,000.
- The largest city of Oregon, in the northwest part of the state on the Willamette River near its junction with the Columbia River. Founded in 1845, it grew as a lumber-exporting port and supply point for the California and Alaska goldfields. Population: 537,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A city in Oregon and another in Maine, USA.
- proper n. An "island" in Dorset, England, famous for Portland stone.
- proper n. Many other places.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. largest city in Maine in the southwestern corner of the state
- n. freshwater port and largest city in Oregon; located in northwestern Oregon on the Willamette River which divides the city into east and west sections; renowned for its beautiful natural setting among the mountains
Sorry, no etymologies found.
That was the night before the Portland breeze -- in the year o 'the war with Spain -- yes,' 98 that would be, the year the _Portland_ went down on Middle Bank with all on board.
PORTLAND - A Portland, Ore., grand jury says the city's police department should be held accountable for an officer who shot an unarmed man in the back.
PORTLAND - Kevin Durant had 33 points and 11 rebounds to help Oklahoma City extend its season-high winning streak to six games with an 89-77 victory over Portland on Tuesday night.
PORTLAND - Amtrak's Downeaster that runs between Portland and Boston bounced back from a dip last summer and fall to finish the fiscal year with its best performance yet.
PORTLAND - A warrant was issued for the arrest of a handyman who has been scamming customers, mostly senior citizens, in the Portland area, police said.
PORTLAND - Aaron Campbell had been drinking at his apartment and was upset about the death of his brother after a long illness when he found himself exchanging a text message with a Portland police officer.
PORTLAND - Investigators have limited the search for a missing 7-year-old Portland boy to the city's metro area, despite tips from other areas, a sheriff's spokesman said Tuesday.
PORTLAND - The Oregon Medical Board has suspended the license of the Portland psychiatrist who plans a "death with dignity house" for assisted suicides.
PORTLAND - A mountain biker from Portland says he and his companions survived a hairy encounter with a grizzly sow and her cubs on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula this week.
PORTLAND - A mountain biker from Portland says he and his companions survived a hairy encounter with a grizzly sow and her two cubs on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.