from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of southwest-central Iran south-southeast of Tehran. It has long been an important commercial center noted for its carpets and metalworks. The ruins of ancient Persepolis are nearby. Population: 1,230,000.
- n. See Syrah.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A city in southern Iran, near the remains of Persepolis
- n. A variety of black grape used to make wine
- n. A wine made from these grapes
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of Persian wine; -- so called from the place whence it is brought.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A wine produced in the neighborhood of Shiraz in Persia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a city in central southwestern Iran; ruins of ancient Persepolis are nearby
Alteration of French syrah (influenced by Shiraz 1, from the belief that it was brought to Europe from Iran during the Crusades).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Persian شیراز (širâz) (Wiktionary)