from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A trademark used for a very spicy sauce made from a strong-flavored red pepper.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A state of Mexico.
- n. A spicy pepper sauce made from tabasco pepper (a chili pepper) with the addition of vinegar and salt.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The trade-name given to a pungent sauce and to a catsup made from a variety of Capsicum annuum (see pepper) and said to be prepared by extracting the pulp of the ripe fruit and so treating it as to retain its flavor, strength, aroma, and color.
- n. A name which has been applied by seedsmen to various forms of Capsicum annuum.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Mexican state on the Gulf of Campeche
- n. very hot red peppers; usually long and thin; some very small
- n. very spicy sauce (trade name Tabasco) made from fully-aged red peppers
SHANE BERNARD, TABASCO HISTORIAN: There was one pepper plant left in the family garden, and from that one pepper plant Edmund picked the peppers from which he made his sauce and from which all Tabasco sauce is made today, really.
The beheadings and police takeover by the feds in Tabasco is true and big news here but that really has nothing to do with outsiders.
Steven Monroe, who ate pizza topped with hot sauce in Tabasco's 1998 ad.
I think the flavor of white oak in the Tabasco is good here.
I regret to hear you lost your cane crop this year and am aware of the flooding in Tabasco that seems to have destroyed this year´s cane crop on your lands.
But I do have a home in Tabasco, so I am not a total idiot concerning Mexico.
"Well, Miss Daisy, I´ve been in Tabasco for about 15 minutes now and it don´t show me nothin´"
Problems are also severe in Tabasco and Veracruz states.
The peppers were a variety of Capsicum frutescens, originally from Panama but cultivated commercially in the Mexican state of Tabasco (and thus referred to as Tabasco peppers).
Pepper sauce, such as Tabasco, is made by pickling the pulp of 'Tabasco' peppers or other C. frutescens in vinegar or brine.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.