American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- A country in the southwest Pacific Ocean east of Fiji comprising about 150 islands, some 36 of which are inhabited. Long inhabited by Polynesians, the islands were sighted by the Dutch in 1616 and visited by the British navigator Capt. James Cook in the late 1700s. It became a British protectorate in 1900 and gained independence as a constitutional monarchy in 1970. Nuku'alofa is the capital and the largest city. Population: 117,000.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A mixture of several barks said to consist principally of Premna Taitensis and Epiprennum mirabile: used by the Fiji Islanders as an antineuralgic. It has been introduced into the United States.
- n. A light two-wheeled vehicle with wooden axletrees, drawn by ponies or oxen, and much used on the up-country roads in British India.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) A drug useful in neuralgia, derived from a Fijian plant supposed to be of the aroid genus Epipremnum.
- n. India A kind of light two-wheeled vehicle, usually for four persons, drawn by ponies or bullocks.
- n. a monarchy on a Polynesian archipelago in the South Pacific; achieved independence from the United Kingdom in 1970
- n. the language of the Tongan people of south central Africa (Zambia and Rhodesia)
- Tongan Tonga, from Samoan toga ("southern"). (Wiktionary)
“I am currently a PCV in Tonga, but I was actually looking on the internet for blogs from past PCVs in Haiti.”
“Here in Tonga, in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, the iPhone is available for purchase.”
“Tonga is playing well, but it is hard to bet against the English side when Jonny Wilkinson seems to be playing injury free.”
“- South Sea cotton, an 'it please you, cacao in Tonga, rubber and mahogany in Yucatan.”
“So there you have it – those are the books I read on a tropical beach in Tonga.”
“The Other Side of Paradise" - my review of the interesting little family drama about a Mormon missionary in Tonga.”
“NUKU'ALOFA, Tonga (February 14, 2010) -- Residents of the island group known as Tonga prayed Sunday in church as a powerful cyclone churned toward their homeland.”
“The category 2 cyclone, Fiji's first this summer, ripped through the most populated island Viti Levu last night and is now headed towards Tonga, which is on alert.”
“This dispersal model suggests that island dwelling mekosuchines might have occurred on various islands where they have yet to be discovered, such as Tonga, Samoa, Santa Cruz, the Loyalty Islands, and various of the islands that form Vanuatu and Fiji (Mead et al. 2002).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘Tonga’.
This is not a scientific list based on unified criteria, the sole aim was to collect as many language names as possible.
The list contains the names of the following artificial langua...
Looking for tweets for Tonga.