from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The official residence of the pope in Vatican City.
- n. The papal government; the papacy.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The official residence of the Pope within Vatican City.
- proper n. The papal government; the papacy.
- proper n. Roman Catholicism
- adj. Relating to the Vatican City state.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A magnificent assemblage of buildings at Rome, near the church of St. Peter, including the pope's palace, a museum, a library, a famous chapel, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The palace of the Popes, a mass of buildings of vast extent, built upon the Vatican hill, immediately to the north of the basilica of St. Peter at Rome.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the residence of the Catholic Pope in the Vatican City
Latin Vaticānus (mōns), the Vatican (Hill).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)