from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An earnest, solemn appeal.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A grave warning
- n. A solemn oath
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of adjuring; a solemn charging on oath, or under the penalty of a curse; an earnest appeal.
- n. The form of oath or appeal.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of adjuring; a solemn charging on oath, or under the penalty of a curse; hence, an earnest appeal or question.
- n. A solemn oath.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a solemn and earnest appeal to someone to do something
Sorry, no etymologies found.