from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A male graduate or former student of a school, college, or university.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a male pupil or student
- n. a male graduate
- n. a student
- n. a graduate
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A pupil; especially, a graduate of a college or other seminary of learning.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A pupil; one educated at a school, seminary, college, or university; specifically, a graduate of any such institution.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person who has received a degree from a school (high school or college or university)
Latin, pupil, from alere, to nourish; see al-2 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Borrowed from Latin alumnus (literally "foster child, nourished one"). (Wiktionary)