from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The univalent organic radical, C5H11, occurring in many organic compounds in eight isomeric forms. Also called pentyl.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. pentyl
- adj. Of or pertaining to starch
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A univalent hydrocarbon radical, C5H11, of the paraffine series found in amyl alcohol or fusel oil, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Starch; fine flour.
- n. A hypothetical radical (C5H11) believed to exist in many compounds, as amylic alcohol, etc.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a hydrocarbon radical that occurs in many organic compounds
Latin am(ylum), starch + -yl.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin amylum ("starch") + -yl. Compare with amidin. (Wiktionary)