from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A plant whose ovules are enclosed in an ovary; a flowering plant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of the plant group characterized by having ovules enclosed in an ovary; the angiosperms or flowering plants: the Angiospermae, Magnoliophyta, Magnoliopsida, etc.
- adj. pertaining to the angiosperms.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A plant which has its seeds inclosed in a pericarp. Contrasted with
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A plant whose seeds are contained in a protecting seed-vessel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. plants having seeds in a closed ovary
Ancient Greek αγγείον ("receptacle") + σπέρμα ("seed") (Wiktionary)