from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To precede.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To go before; to precede
- v. To predate or antedate
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. To go before in time or place; to precede; to surpass.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To go before in time, and sometimes in place, rank, or logical order; precede.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. be earlier in time; go back further
Latin antecēdere : ante-, ante- + cēdere, to go; see ked- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)