American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Any of various small, soft-bodied insects of the family Aphididae that have mouthparts specially adapted for piercing and feed by sucking sap from plants. Also called plant louse.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An aphidian; a plant-louse; a member of the genus Aphis or family Aphididœce (which see). In the plural, the plant-lice: a general or indeterminate term for the members of the genus Aphis, of the family Aphididœce, or of the suborder Phytophthiria.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) One of the genus Aphis; an aphidian.
- n. any of various small plant-sucking insects
- Modern Latin aphides, coined by Swedish botanist Carolus Linnaeus in 1758. His inspiration for the name remains unclear. OED suggests a connection to Ancient Greek αφειδής (apheidēs, "unsparing, lavishly borrowed") in reference to the insects' voracity or rapid rate of production. (Wiktionary)
- New Latin Aphis, Aphid-, type genus. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Larvae, often called "aphid lions,"are among the most efficient predators of aphids.”
“February 23rd, 2010 WASHINGTON - Scientists from more than 10 nations took part in the sequencing and analysis of the genome of the pea aphid, which is considered as the "mosquito" of the plant world.”
“Washington, Feb 23: Scientists from more than 10 nations took part in the sequencing and analysis of the genome of the pea aphid, which is considered as the”
“Scientists from more than 10 nations took part in the sequencing and analysis of the genome of the pea aphid, which is considered as the "mosquito" of the”
“An adult wasp will strongly prefer to lay her eggs in the same kind of aphid in which she herself grew up.”
“By changing the number of wasp species (one versus three) and whether each wasp species was a specialist (all of the individuals parasitizing just one kind of aphid) or a generalist (different individuals parasitizing different kinds of aphids), Finke and Snyder were able to separately test the effects of species number and resource use.”
“What's special about the wasps, and what made them ideal for this study, is that individuals of one species can be raised to prefer one kind of aphid prey over all others.”
“Pants (UID#2794) on August 31st, 2009 at 12: 28 am facepalm aphid”
“The cucumber plant, alas, ended up disposed of, as the aphid infestation did it in despite the anti-aphid treatment.”
“The picture below captures a ladybug munching on an unfortunate aphid.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘aphid’.
A list of common animal names. Keep the list to 2 syllable words.No scientific names. No proper names like 'Fluffy' the elephant.Insects and other creatures (even ficticious like 'dragon') are we...
favorite words. some are made up injokes between me and my husband or family.
There are 17576 different sequences of three letters (26 x 26 x 26). How many of them occur in words? General rules of engagement: mononyms only, lower case preferred to upper case, short preferred...
Words from a 2006 'A Scanner Darkly' film.
Looking for tweets for aphid.