from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having no wings or winglike extensions: an apterous insect.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Destitute of wings; wingless.
- adj. Destitute of winglike membranous expansions, as a stem or petiole.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Destitute of wings; apteral.
- adj. Destitute of winglike membranous expansions, as a stem or petiole; -- opposed to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In zoology: Wingless; having no wings: applied both to wingless insects belonging to winged groups, and to the wingless stage of winged insects.
- Specifically, of or pertaining to the Aptera.
- In botany, destitute of membranous expansions, as a stem or petiole: opposed to alate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of insects) without wings
Sorry, no etymologies found.