from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having no columns along the sides. Used especially of a classical temple.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. apterous
- adj. Without lateral columns; applied to buildings which have no series of columns along their sides, but are either prostyle or amphiprostyle.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Apterous.
- adj. Without lateral columns; -- applied to buildings which have no series of columns along their sides, but are either prostyle or amphiprostyle, and opposed to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Destitute of wings.
- In architecture, applied to a temple or other building which has no columns on the flanks, but may have a portico at one or at each end: opposed to peripteral, surrounded by columns. See prostyle and amphiprostyle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. having columns at one or both ends but not along the sides
- adj. (of insects) without wings
From Greek apteros, wingless : a-, without; see a-1 + pteron, wing; see -pter.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)