American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Lack of normal muscle tone.
- n. Lack of accent or stress.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In pathology, a want of tone; defect of muscular power; weakness of any organ, particularly of one that is contractile; debility.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Med.) Want of tone; weakness of the system, or of any organ, especially of such as are contractile.
- n. lack of normal muscular tension or tonus
- From New Latin atonia, from Ancient Greek ἀτονία (atonia, "languor"), from ἄτονος (atonos, "languid"), from ἀ- (a-, "privative") + τόνος (tonos, "accent"), from τείνειν (teinein, "to stretch"). (Wiktionary)
- Late Latin atonia, from Greek atoniā, from atonos, slack : a-, without; see a-1 + tonos, stretching, tone; see tone. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The risk of bleeding from uterine atony is minimized by coordination between the surgeon and anesthesiologist to decrease the concentration of inhalation anesthetic and to administer oxytocin to contract the uterus before cutting the umbilical cord.”
“To overcome this "atony" of two or more feet of the lower bowel, a little "nutritious" suppository, weighing twenty grains, is a”
“Its authors have discovered that the "rectal nerve-tissues" are hungry, torpid, anemic, and to overcome the "atony" they must be "_Fed!”
“If someone is writing his thesis for a fourth masters, does he ever expect to get a job, or is he a professional student? atony and lido”
“The three main causes of post-partum hemorrhage are uterine atony; vaginal, cervical, or perineal lacerations; and retained placenta or placental fragments.”
“By far the most common cause of postpartum hemorrhage is that the muscles of the uterus do not contract well enough, a condition known as uterine atony.”
“Heavy bleeding can occur if your uterus relaxes too much (uterine atony) or if some fetal or placental tissue is left in the uterus (retained tissue or incomplete abortion).”
“The doctors used words like uterine atony and artery ligation, disseminated intravascular coagulation, but all I heard was that I couldn't have any more children.”
“I require tone in the body, but such as exists in a healthy body, in an athletic body; but if it is plain to me that you have the tone of a frenzied man and you boast of it, I shall say to you, “Man, seek the physician”: this is not tone, but atony.”
“Taking goldenseal long-term, more than two weeks to a month, in higher dosages is generally not recommended, since it can cause gastrointestinal atony.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘atony’.
Not just rare words, but thousands of RARE WORDS WITH DEFINITIONS.
If you want to see the definitions, too, go to
Just the words I meet this month, starting with cecum.
Oh, that little smiling teacher tile in my Scrabble app. He teaches me so much.
Words meaning weakness
Looking for tweets for atony.