from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several salamanders (genus Ambystoma) native to Mexico and the western United States that, unlike most amphibians, often retain their external gills and become sexually mature without undergoing metamorphosis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An amphibian of the salamander tribe found in the elevated lakes of Mexico, Ambystoma mexicanum.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An amphibian of the salamander tribe found in the elevated lakes of Mexico; the siredon.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A urodele or tailed amphibian found in Mexico, which is supposed not to undergo metamorphosis, but to retain its gills throughout life, breeding in the larval state.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. larval salamander of mountain lakes of Mexico that usually lives without metamorphosing
Nahuatl.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Nahuatl axolotl. (Wiktionary)