from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A type of spotlight, used in photography, that illuminates a subject from behind.
- transitive v. To light from behind: The photographer backlit the subject for a dramatic effect.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A spotlight that illuminates a photographic subject from behind.
- n. A light attached to an LCD display.
- n. The rear window of a motor car.
- v. To illuminate something from behind.
From back + light (Wiktionary)