American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A worm, especially a parasitic roundworm or tapeworm.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A worm; especially, an entozoan, entoparasitic, or intestinal worm, as a cestoid, trematoid, or nematoid. See cut under Cestoidea.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) An intestinal worm, or wormlike intestinal parasite; one of the Helminthes.
- n. worm that is parasitic on the intestines of vertebrates especially roundworms and tapeworms and flukes
- From Ancient Greek ἕλμινθ- (helminth-), stem of ἕλμινς (helmins, "intestinal worm"). (Wiktionary)
- French helminthe, from Greek helmins, helminth-; see wel-2 in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It looks like the helminth the parasite rebalances the immune system," says Bobby Sandage , chief executive of Burlington, Mass.-based Coronado Biosciences, which is finishing up an early-stage clinical trial of whipworm to treat Crohn's disease.”
“The research published by David Artis, assistant professor in the Department of Pathobiology at Penn Vet, and colleagues may identify an important process in the immune response to helminth parasites and allergies.”
“The impact seems to be at least as profound on the helminth parasites of arctic rodents .”
“Human behavior and the epidemiology of helminth infections: Cultural practices and microepidemiology.”
“IgE allergies and helminth parasites: A new perspective on an old conundrum.”
“Origins, diversification, and historical structure of the helminth fauna inhabiting neotropical freshwater stingrays Potamotrygonidae.”
“The number of niches in intestinal helminth communities of Anguilla anguilla: Are there enough spaces for parasites?”
“Host fragmentation and helminth parasites: Hedging your bets against extinction.”
“In areas of high temperature and humidity, helminth eggs hatch very quickly and can develop into infective larvae in a short period, however they also expend their energy reserves quickly and cannot survive as long on pasture as they might in cooler or drier areas.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘helminth’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
I have a list for words learned from Newsweek; here's where I keep all the stuff from other shit I read.
Except when I'm looking stuff up and find new words that way. Those go on their...
Tales of the Dying Earth is a 2002 anthology volume featuring four novels by Jack Vance: The Dying Earth, The Eyes of the Overworld, Cugel's Saga and Rhialto the Marvellous.
Looking for tweets for helminth.