from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Slang A person who collects money, as for racketeers.
- n. Chiefly British A traveling salesman.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who collects, transports, or distributes illicit money, especially for the purpose of bribery, extortion, or the making of other improper payments.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A commercial traveler; one employed to solicit orders for manufacturers and tradesmen.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who carries a bag; especially, one who travels on horse back carrying samples or wares in saddle-bags: a name formerly given to commercial travelers, but now used only as a term of moderate contempt.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a salesman who travels to call on customers
- n. a racketeer assigned to collect or distribute payoff money
Sorry, no etymologies found.