from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The woolly fern, Cibotium barometz.
- n. A Scythian Lamb; a joke creature, supposedly half animal and half plant, made by inverting a woolly fern.
- n. The Vegetable Lamb of Tartary, a mythical plant believed to grow sheep as its fruit.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The woolly-skinned rhizoma or rootstock of a fern (Dicksonia barometz), which, when specially prepared and inverted, somewhat resembles a lamb; -- called also Scythian lamb.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The decumbent caudex of the fern Dicksonia Barometz, also called Agnus Scythicus, the Scythian or Tatarian lamb. See Agnus Scythicus, under agnus. Also written boramez.
Possibly a corruption of the Russian word baranets (from "baran", ram) used to describe a species of club moss. (Wiktionary)