from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Southwestern U.S. A deep ravine or gorge.
- n. Southwestern U.S. A bluff.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A steep-sided gulch or arroyo; a canyon or ravine.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A ravine caused by heavy rains or a watercourse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A deep ravine, mountain-gorge, or defile: a word frequently used by writers on Mexican and South American geography and travel.
Spanish, probably of Iberian origin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish barranca (Wiktionary)