from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small ravine, especially one cut by a torrent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To swallow greedily; to gulp down.
- n. An act of gulching or gulping.
- n. A glutton
- n. A narrow V-shaped valley with a stream running through it.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Act of gulching or gulping.
- n. A glutton.
- n. A ravine, or part of the deep bed of a torrent when dry; a gully.
- transitive v. To swallow greedily; to gulp down.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To swallow greedily.
- n. A swallowing or devouring.
- n. A glutton; a fat, stupid fellow.
- To fall heavily.
- n. A heavy fall.
- n. A gorge; a ravine; any narrow valley or ravine of small dimensions and steep sides.
- n. A long, narrow, deep depression of the sea-bottom.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a narrow gorge with a stream running through it
Perhaps from dialectal gulch, to gush, (of land) to sink in, from Middle English gulchen, to drink greedily, to spew.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Middle English gulchen ("to gulp") (Wiktionary)