from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An urban district or quarter in a Spanish-speaking country.
- n. A chiefly Spanish-speaking community or neighborhood in a U.S. city.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An area or neighborhood in a U.S. city inhabited primarily by people speaking Spanish or of Hispanic origin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. In Spain and countries colonized by Spain, a village, ward, or district outside a town or city to whose jurisdiction it belongs; in Spanish-speaking areas of cities in the United States, it is a neighborhood, ward, or quarter inside a town.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A village or small town which has no independent administration, but which is subordinated to a larger town. See pueblo.
- n. A ward; a division of a termino or municipal district in Cuba.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a Spanish-speaking quarter in a town or city (especially in the United States)
- n. an urban area in a Spanish-speaking country
Spanish, from Arabic barrī, of an open area, from barr, open area; see brr in Semitic roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)