from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The tenderest part of a loin of beef, pork, or similar cut of meat.
- n. A city district notorious for vice and graft.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The tenderest part of a loin of meat, especially of pork or beef
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A strip of tender flesh on either side of the vertebral column under the short ribs, in the hind quarter of beef and pork. It consists of the psoas muscles.
- n. In New York City, the region which is the center of the night life of fashionable amusement, including the majority of the theaters, etc., centering on Broadway. The term orig. designates the old twenty-ninth police precinct, in this region, which afforded the police great opportunities for profit through conniving at vice and lawbreaking, one captain being reported to have said on being transferred there that whereas he had been eating chuck steak he would now eat tenderlion. Hence, in some other cities, a district largely devoted to night amusement, or, sometimes, to vice.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That part of the loin of beef which is tenderer than the rest, in consequence of the softness or fineness of the muscular fiber; the psoas muscle of the ox and some other animals used as meat; the fillet; the undercut.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the tender meat of the loin muscle on each side of the vertebral column
- n. a city district known for its vice and high crime rate
Start the next strip of bacon by overlapping on the end of the first piece and continuing until the tenderloin is completely covered.
Elly, tenderloin is so quick and easy to use - I like it because it stays moist and tender even though it isn't full of fat.
While the tenderloin is roasting, make the pilaf: Put the reserved onion, chorizo, and oil in a pan and heat.
In other words, pork tenderloin is a very low fat meat.
Gini (as I open the fridge to get some soda out): Are you sure that pork tenderloin is still good?
This is called the tenderloin in English and the blanc de volaille in French.
We out of the house longer than we'd intended on Sunday, so butterflying the tenderloin was a perfect solution.
The menu says center cut of beef tenderloin, which is basically the filet mignon.
The tenderloin is the small muscle that runs down the inside of the backbone.
Between the short and sirloin is the portion usually called the tenderloin, the name of which indicates its prevailing characteristic, the tenderness which makes it a much-to-be-desired cut in spite of its lack of juiciness and flavor as compared with other cuts.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.