from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See blueberry.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Vaccinium myrtillus, the wild European blueberry of the cowberry family.
- n. The shrub of the above-mentioned plant.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The European whortleberry (Vaccinium myrtillus); also, its edible bluish black fruit.
- n. Any similar plant or its fruit; esp., in America, the species Vaccinium myrtilloides, Vaccinium cæspitosum and Vaccinium uliginosum.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A shrub and its fruit, Vaccinium Myrtillus.
- n. A name sometimes given in the United States to the fruit of the shad-bush, Amelanchier Canadensis.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. erect European blueberry having solitary flowers and blue-black berries
- n. blue-black berries similar to American blueberries
- n. erect blueberry of western United States having solitary flowers and somewhat sour berries
bil-, probably of Scandinavian origin; see bhel-2 in Indo-European roots + berry.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)