from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large mackerel or herring, lightly smoked and salted.
- n. A small whitefish (Coregonus hoyi) of the Great Lakes and the lakes of eastern Canada.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A salted, and lightly smoked herring or mackerel.
- n. A freshwater fish native to the Great Lakes; the species Coregonus hoyi.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The common herring, esp. when of large size, smoked, and half dried; -- called also bloat herring.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An English name for a herring which has been steeped for a short time, slightly salted, and partially smoke-dried, but not split open.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large fatty herring lightly salted and briefly smoked
"bloater" -- and enabling him to carry out more vigorously his schemes of
Second Lieutenant E.W. C. Perry and his mechanic, H.E. Parfitt, of No. 3 Squadron, who were flying a B.E. 8 machine (familiarly known as a 'bloater'), crashed over the aerodrome at Amiens; the machine caught fire, and both were killed.
For Alex Salmond, whose resemblance to a bloater in quite uncanny, this is the first step on a road which he hopes will lead him to his Nobel Peace Prize.
If you answered no to any of these, you might be facing a bloater.
You've got a bloater--a novel that has taken on a life of its own.
Diane, I can hear a director yelling, "Bloater, where's the bloater!"
We thought of non-asthmatic, obstructive chronic lung disease as a spectrum with the prototypical blue bloater at one extreme and the pink puffer at the other with the plurality of patients falling in between having some feature of both.
One of the most amusing, concise and accurate summations of the bulimic bloater since Matthew Parris retired as a commons sketch writer. nadeem afzal
Maybe to make her knockers look big, maybe because sheâ€™s a bit of a bloater
You get too much food over here, but I managed to even things out towards the end of the stay and not feel like a bloated, er, bloater really I wanted to say plutocrat.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.