from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to wage earners, especially as a class, whose jobs are performed in work clothes and often involve manual labor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Working class; engaged or trained in essentially manual labor.
- adj. Pertaining to the culture of blue-collar workers.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. of or designating work or workers in industry not requiring well-groomed appearance.
- adj. of those who work for wages especially manual or industrial laborers.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or designating manual industrial work or workers
- adj. of those who work for wages especially manual or industrial laborers
From the color of rugged denim and chambray work shirts often worn by manual workers, as opposed to the white dress shirts typically worn by professionals and clerical workers. (Wiktionary)