from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A Latin American.
- n. A person of Hispanic, especially Latin-American, descent, often one living in the United States. See Usage Note at Hispanic.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of Latin American descent.
- n. A person from Latin America.
- n. A person residing in the United States, who is of Latin American descent.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a native of Latin America
- n. an artificial language based on words common to the Romance languages
- adj. related to a Spanish-speaking people or culture
Short for Spanish latinoamericano, Latin-American, from latino, Latin, from Latin Latīnus; see Latin.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Spanish latino a, from Spanish latinoamericano (Latin American), from Latin latinus (pertaining to Latium, the region of Italy around Rome), possibly from Proto-Indo-European base *stela- (to spread, to extend, hence flat country as opposed to mountainous). (Wiktionary)