from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several plants of the genus Eupatorium in the composite family, especially the eastern North American species E. perfoliatum, having opposite leaves united around the stem and clusters of small white flower heads. Also called thoroughwort.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of several plants of the genus Eupatorium.
- n. The herb common boneset.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A medicinal plant, the thoroughwort (Eupatorium perfoliatum). Its properties are diaphoretic and tonic.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To set bones; practise the setting of broken bones.
- n. The thoroughwort, Eupatorium perfoliatum. See Eupatorium.
- n. In England, an old name for the comfrey, Symphytum officinale.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. European herb having small white, pink or purple flowers; naturalized as a weed in North America
- n. perennial herb of southeastern United States having white-rayed flower heads; formerly used as in folk medicine
From its use as a folk medicine.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)