American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A plant of the Bryophyta, a division of photosynthetic, chiefly terrestrial, nonvascular plants, including the mosses, liverworts, and hornworts.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of the Bryophyta.
- n. botany A member of the Bryophyta (in the broadest sense). Any plant in which the gametophyte (haploid) stage of the lifecycle is the larger, persistent stage, and the sporophyte (diploid) stage is small and dependent upon the gametophyte. Bryophytes include mosses, liverworts, and hornworts.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. any of numerous plants of the division bryophyta.
- n. any of numerous plants of the division Bryophyta
- From Bryophyta, from Ancient Greek βρύον ("moss") + φυτόν ("plant"). (Wiktionary)
“There are 794 angiosperm genera, 77% of China's total angiosperm species, 24 gymnosperm, 70 pteridophyte and 102 bryophyte genera.”
“In the Russian Arctic, for example, 735 bryophyte species (530 mosses and 205 liverworts) and 1078 lichen species have been recorded .”
“An even larger proportion (90%) of bryophyte species occurs in both the North American and Eurasian Arctic.”
“Genetic variation in the clonal bryophyte Hylocomium splendens at hierarchical geographical scales in Scandinavia.”
“Large numbers of species of bryophyte (mosses and liverworts), lichen (or lichenized fungi), fungi, and algae occur, as well as many species of invertebrate animals.”
“The bryophyte flora is very rich in contrast to the vascular flora, with about 450 species and an endemism rate of 5%.”
“The biogeographical history is also reflected in the bryophyte flora.”
“Lichen and bryophyte distribution on oak in London in relation to air pollution and bark acidity [An article from: Environmental Pollution] by R.S. Larsen”
“A total of 859 vascular plant, 15 pteridophyte, 21 bryophyte and 159 algal species have been recorded.”
“The aquatic bryophyte samples consistently produced 14C ages significantly older than the terrestrial macrofossils.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bryophyte’.
Interesting words worth @ least 15 points.
Looking for tweets for bryophyte.