from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A plant of the Bryophyta, a division of photosynthetic, chiefly terrestrial, nonvascular plants, including the mosses, liverworts, and hornworts.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A member of the Bryophyta (in the broadest sense). Any plant in which the gametophyte (haploid) stage of the lifecycle is the larger, persistent stage, and the sporophyte (diploid) stage is small and dependent upon the gametophyte. Bryophytes include mosses, liverworts, and hornworts.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. any of numerous plants of the division bryophyta.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A member of the Bryophyta.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of numerous plants of the division Bryophyta
From Bryophyta, from Ancient Greek βρύον ("moss") + φυτόν ("plant"). (Wiktionary)