Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An extra gas-pipe passing around a valve or gas-chamber, used to prevent a complete stoppage of the flow of gas when the valve or chamber is closed. It is used with pilot-lights. The pilot-light supplied by the by-pass pipe lights the main burners when the supply is turned on.
- To furnish with a by-pass.
- n. In wash-bottles and similar apparatus for the handling of gases, a tube with a stop-cock connecting the ingress and egress tubes, so that by opening the stopcock the gas may pass without flowing through the apparatus itself.
- n. Any passage for conducting around an obstruction, such as a closed valve, a part of the fluid or material which goes through the main channel. A by-pass is frequently placed on large steam- or water-valves to relieve the pressure on the valve so that it can be opened and closed easily. Also
- To permit (a liquid) to flow through an auxiliary channel, around a valve or a cylinder or back into a reservoir, instead of pursuing the usual or direct course through the main or normal channel.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Mech.) A by-passage, for a pipe, or other channel, to divert circulation from the usual course.
- v. avoid something unpleasant or laborious
- n. a highway that encircles an urban area so that traffic does not have to pass through the center
- n. a conductor having low resistance in parallel with another device to divert a fraction of the current
- n. a surgically created shunt (usually around a damaged part)
“I suspect you would had to have had a humour by-pass not to enjoy it.”
“Maybe the Fed should be allowed to by-pass the GOP game playing, that way we'll get something done.”
“She refused to believe that female Lib Dems present at a meeting were shoved and jostled by a Green activist and she didn't believe that a senior Norwich Green sent an abusive letter to my father some years ago because of his support for the Norwich Northern by-pass.”
“My dad survived cancer, quadruple by-pass surgery, and now he is struggling with congestive heart failure.”
“Carlos Salinas de Gotari (thetruck by-pass) to get from one end of Monclova to another, but you learn something everyday.”
“The reason why RVers take the by-pass is that they find it easier than taking a large motorhome with a tow vehicle through city streets.”
“Although the by-pass may not be completely in Monclova, we've been stopped by transit police near both ends and in the middle.”
“I personally know several RVers who have been stopped on the by-pass and I was recently talking to Terri Church (of Mike and Terri Church fame) about their experiece on being stopped on the by-pass.”
“If someone drives straight through and does not take the long detour loop on what is being called the truck by-pass, you do not pass through Frontera.”
“I too hate going through Monclova, especially the by-pass around the city because of the corrupt transit police.”
Looking for tweets for by-pass.