American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that sprinkles, especially:
- n. An outlet on a sprinkler system.
- n. A device with perforations through which water issues from a hose to sprinkle a lawn.
- n. A sprinkler system.
- v. To equip with a sprinkler system.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which sprinkles. Especially—(a ) A spherical or barrel shaped vase having a small spout. Such vases were grasped in the hand, and the liquid contents thrown out with a jerking motion.
- n. Milit., same as morning-star, 2.
- n. Anything that sprinkles.
- n. An irrigation device that sprays water into the air whilst moving back and forth.
- n. A fire sprinkler; a heat actived fire extinguisher.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who sprinkles.
- n. An instrument or vessel used in sprinkling; specifically, a watering pot.
- n. mechanical device that attaches to a garden hose for watering lawn or garden
- sprinkle + -er (Wiktionary)
“I've found that one of these tubs (we just "upgraded" from a 30 gallon to a 45 gallon model this summer - $25 at the hardware store) and a good sprinkler is all the water fun my small children need.”
“Moose in a Sprinkler - Running through a sprinkler is a fun way to cool off on a hot summer day, for young humans as well as young moose!”
“The sprinkler is a light brass rose, about 1½ inches diameter and less than two inches high entire, the distributer being a revolving head fitted loosely to the body of the fixed portion, which is made to screw into a half inch tube connection.”
“A telephone prankster posing as a sprinkler company employee caused havoc Saturday morning at an Arkansas Holiday Inn when he convinced an employee to set off the hotel's fire alarm, smash windows, shut down electricity, and break a sprinkler head that flooded the building lobby.”
“One company that benefited: Wheatland Tube Co., which employs 1,600 people, most of them in factories near this small city, making steel pipes for uses such as sprinkler systems and plumbing.”
“It is an easy matter if you have all appliances, – a "sprinkler," or”
“From Jake, Newquay, TMS inbox: "I'd like to add my voice to the no doubt cacophonous chorus of people demanding that Aggers repeat his 'sprinkler' in front of the video cameras at the earliest opportunity...”
“Our ongoing Parta's Own moderation system MediaChannels and the 'sprinkler' Parta moderates the discussions year-round and makes sure stimulating content is found and EnerNext Energie2point0 published Web Video”
“The Ashes 2010: Graeme Swann leads 'sprinkler' celebrations as England retain urn in”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sprinkler’.
This is a list of my favourite words (phrases) in english, as a second language. I love them mostly because of how they sound and their meaning.
Classic Children's Toys and Games and Amusements
Listening to this as an audio book for the second time. Tim O'Brien uses simple words and phrases to great effect. Very few unfamilar and big words . The writing style reminds me of words from Joh...
Words associated with summer
Looking for tweets for sprinkler.