American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See fire hydrant.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A device for connecting the supply-pipe of a fire-engine with a water-main in case of fire.
- n. A fire hydrant.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a plug or hydrant for drawing water from the main pipes in a street, building, etc., for extinguishing fires.
- n. an upright hydrant that can supply large volumes of water to use in fighting a fire. They are commonly placed at intervals at the street edge of a sidewalk for convenience in suppressing fires in towns.
- n. [U. S.] a street hydrant to which hose may be attached.
- n. an upright hydrant for drawing water to use in fighting a fire
- fire + plug, referring to the system used prior to fire hydrants, in which a large plug was placed into a hole in the water main, then covered with a barrel. The plug was removed when water was needed. (Wiktionary)
“He is most known for being a "fireplug" - a short, stocky guy who just doesn't get pushed around.”
“Thomas Lincoln, on the other hand was more like a "fireplug," Price said.”
“Foster is a sophomore who converted from defensive end while Spence, a redshirt freshman, is a 6-foot-1, 305-pound fireplug that's almost immovable.”
“In one of his columns, the urbane Noël Coward is introduced by the columnist to "Two-Ton" Tony Galento, the fireplug Jersey heavyweight who once knocked down Joe Louis.”
“Stann is unequivocally strong, though he's also unequivocally robotic as good as awkward, which creates me consider the fireplug of the male similar to Wallace can get in upon his hips as good as hit him over.”
“Their phone conversations and e-mail correspondence had been lively and animated, but in person the guy had about as much personality as a fireplug.”
““Mick” to his friends, and “Mickey” when Regan was in an expansive mood, Lowe was short and muscular, the effect of habitual weight training that had caused one observer to describe him as “a squared-off fireplug of a guy.””
“But Mr. Cohen's wildest act may have been his own, as a fireplug-shaped music-business eminence with a reputation for litigiousness.”
“At that point, Joe Burton quickly leaned his fireplug of a body forward.”
“He has a shaved head, a fireplug-shaped body and a wry demeanor that transforms into silent, burning intensity when provoked.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘fireplug’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words and phrases containing fire.
Looking for tweets for fireplug.