from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that extinguishes, especially:
- n. Any of various portable mechanical devices for spraying and extinguishing a fire with chemicals.
- n. A small metal cone or cup on a long handle, used for snuffing out candles; a snuffer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Anything that extinguishes something; but especially a fire extinguisher
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, extinguishes; esp., a hollow cone or other device for extinguishing a flame, as of a torch or candle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which extinguishes, or suppresses or puts out of existence.
- n. A portable apparatus for extinguishing fire. See fire-extinguisher.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a manually operated device for extinguishing small fires
to extinguish + -er (Wiktionary)