American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A pastille used to sweeten the breath.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A sweetmeat, generally in the form of pill, made of the extracts of licorice, cashew-nut, gum, etc., used by tobacco-smokers and others to sweeten the breath.
- n. A sweet taken to sweeten the breath.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A silvered aromatic pill, used to correct the odor of the breath.
- n. a scented lozenge used to sweeten the breath (e.g. to conceal the odor of tobacco)
- French cachou, from Portuguese cachu, from Malay kacu ‘type of acacia’. (Wiktionary)
- French, from Portuguese cachu, from Malayalam kāccu, from Tamil kāyccu. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Ivan Matveitch noticed that I was tired from playing he would offer me ‘du cachou de Bologne.’”
“Pepper, though, was of infinitely more moment to the ancients than to be merely a topping, nostrum, or cachou.”
“As he goes out, I see him slip a cachou or a clove into his mouth. So his breath won't smell of wine, of course.”
“Dye with 20 lb. Amidazol cachou, 5 lb. soda and 200 lb.”
“Dante gave him a cachou every time he brought her a piece of tissue paper.”
“I see the gentleman of the night before, still dressed in his wrapper, brown the color of cachou, who advances majestically, followed by a train of nurses.”
“India scarves before alluded to; a stomacher set with garnet, a pearl necklace, and a silver box full of cachou and can-away comfits, to be taken to church for amusement during long sermons.”
“26 June 2005 at 01:56 AM hi, do you mind if I borrow you this picture for my blog. thank cachou”
“And last month I made these for a Christmas in July dinner: gingerbread dough rolled quite thin I didn’t have a rolling pin at the time and had to use a short tumbler so it baked in about 3 minutes, most iced with a star and a silver cachou in the middle but some left plain and iced with dark chocolate on the back:”
“= cásh money cachepot cáshpo, cáshpót cachet cáshây cachou lozenge, catechu”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘cachou’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
caramel gets 48 hits
chocolate gets 112 hits
nonpareil 83 hits
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
Confections to sweeten the breath.
A myriad of game-changing words every Scrabble addict must have in his arsenal.
Keep in mind that these are all tried-and-true feasibly playable words selected for their handiness, i.e...
Oddments culled from my "main" lists that belong in a display cabinet of their own, plus sundry other curiosities. :-)
Words gathered while reading Speak, Memory by Vladimir Nabokov.
If you say it juuust so, it sounds like a sneeze.
Looking for tweets for cachou.