American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A small medicated or flavored tablet; a troche.
- n. A tablet containing aromatic substances that is burned to fumigate or deodorize the air.
- n. A pastel paste or crayon.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See pastil.
- n. A soft flavoured candy.
- n. A medicinal pill, originally compressed herbs. A throat pastille is a large candy-like lozenge, which, when sucked, releases oils to soothe a sore throat and sometimes vapors to help unblock the nose or sinuses.
- n. A small granular half spheroid piece of material.
- n. a medicated lozenge used to soothe the throat
- The sweets are named after Italian confectioner Giovanni Pastilla who made them for Marie de Medici. (Wiktionary)
- French, from Spanish pastilla, perfume pellet, and Italian pastillo, pastille, both from Latin pāstillus, little loaf, medicine tablet, diminutive of pānis, bread. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“- in fabric design, "une pastille" is a large round spot - "un pois" (= pea) being smaller.”
“Scenes taken from mythology were done in what was known as "pastille," composition work raised and painted on a gold background.”
“Noting the four Secret Service guns at the edge of the stage, I took one fearful precaution: having been sucking on lozenges all day (my throat was dry and I was scheduled to sing that night at the Class Cabaret), I gathered a few into my left hand rather than risk the ignominy of being shot down as I reached into my cutaway for a pastille.”
“We offer the pastille in our Entertainment Luxury line because it is multifunctional and great to relax and surf the net while sitting in your game room.”
“But he picked up a Chocorange and read the label on it: sugar-free, healthy, tooth-friendly, it said, only four calories per pastille.”
“The words made their way over my tongue like a sweet pastille of possibility.”
“ "Looks like she ate one," said Mimi, indicating an empty space where the honeybee cream pastille should have been.”
“And because I entered through the happy green door, I don't resent it for being some sort of pastille.”
“And I want a pastille now. *sigh* No more posts about gourmand scents.”
“A standard of the high security, pump Vak is recognized since tens of years by the whole of the profession like a product top-of-the-range, reliable, at important combinative power. 10 throats, key stainless, guard and pastille year Ti-drilling and anti-sawing.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘pastille’.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Confections to sweeten the breath.
As much fun to say as they are to eat.
Just like it says
Words I've come across while reading and looked up in the dictionary.
The bucket where my words go.
A breaded foray of words
Looking for tweets for pastille.