from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See hemimorphite.
- n. A pink, odorless, tasteless powder of zinc oxide with a small amount of ferric oxide, dissolved in mineral oils and used in skin lotions.
- n. An alloy composed of lead, tin, and zinc.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pale pink powdered form of zinc oxide used in skin lotions
- n. The zinc silicate mineral hemimorphite
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mineral, the hydrous silicate of zinc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An alkaloid contained in the rhizome of sweet-flag, Acorus Calamus, and found to be identical with choline.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a white mineral; a common ore of zinc
French, from Medieval Latin calamīna, alteration of Latin cadmīa; see cadmium.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
French calamine, Latin calamina. (Wiktionary)