American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. See hemimorphite.
- n. A pink, odorless, tasteless powder of zinc oxide with a small amount of ferric oxide, dissolved in mineral oils and used in skin lotions.
- n. An alloy composed of lead, tin, and zinc.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An alkaloid contained in the rhizome of sweet-flag, Acorus Calamus, and found to be identical with choline.
- n. A pale pink powdered form of zinc oxide used in skin lotions
- n. The zinc silicate mineral hemimorphite
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (min.) A mineral, the hydrous silicate of zinc.
- n. a white mineral; a common ore of zinc
- French calamine, Latin calamina. (Wiktionary)
- French, from Medieval Latin calamīna, alteration of Latin cadmīa; see cadmium. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The name calamine (G.rman, _G.lmei_), from _lapis calaminaris_, a Latin corruption of cadmia ([G.eek: kadmia]), the old name for zinc ores in general (G. Agricola in 1546 derived it from the Latin _calamus_, a reed), was early used indiscriminately for the carbonate and the hydrous silicate of zinc, and even now both species are included by miners under the same term.”
“F.S. Beudant in 1832 restricted the name calamine to the hydrous silicate and proposed the name”
“I can see she’s being bathed in calamine and baking soda there …”
“The remaining part amounting to i* confifts of fomc impurities, which have been picked out or ivalhcd away, and of fome portion of the me - tallic parts of the calamine, which is inflamed jind driven off during calcination.”
“· applying lotions such as calamine that are soothing and prevent the skin from becoming too dry”
“I got a terrible sunburn in Damascus once, and because I did not know the Arabic word for calamine, I treated my burn with a substance that I now believe was hummus.”
“The only real way to deal with such ulcers is to wrap the affected area in what's known as Unna Boots -- gauze bandages soaked in either zinc oxide paste, or a blend of zinc oxide paste and calamine lotion; the later is what I have.”
“Outside the tent, there is a "help yourself" first-aid station with bandages, antacid, witch hazel, calamine lotion and vitamins.”
“The real inflation story is here in the U.S. For us, China's inflation is the canary in the calamine.”
“In fact, calamine can hardly cope with the effects, which are florid and quite out of proportion to what is usually the briefest of encounters.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘calamine’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
The Decemberists tend to use a lot of interesting words in their songs.
Various words that have appeared in the lyrics of songs by the Decemberists.
Looking for tweets for calamine.