Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A line dividing any symmetrical plane figure or surface of revolution into two symmetrical halves.
- n. The line around which any figure may be revolved to generate a volume of revolution.
- n. The line in a drawing on each side of which points in the diagram or figure lie at equal distances. In all designing of symmetrical constructions the center-lines are drawn first, and from these all dimensions are laid off.
- n. plural The lines through the center of mass or center of gravity of a body parallel to the three coördinate axes used in analytical geometry.
- n. The line joining the centers of two parallel shafts in the same plane, or perpendicular to both axes if they are not in the same plane, in the design of toothed gearing. See also line of center, under line.
“We wouldn't go that far -- but after years of rocking a center-line part, we're ready to mix it up.”
“They need to know where to drill the large hole ..." hiss, bang, bang, hiss as the chalk danced a center-line for the tunnel.”
“There's nothing the least bit "zoom-zoom" about the Mazda2 Touring -- a tiny car with a wheelbase, the center-line distance between the front and rear wheels, of 98 inches.”
“Two of these (pictured here) are the main postholes from the center-line of the hospital and one is a supporting post for the side, possibly the wall.”
“Do remember frequently, cars, buses crossing the center-line to negotiate those curves and the dizzying views off the precipices.”
“The rest of the flight, I had the distinct feeling that he was fantasizing about driving my nose-bone into my brain, and as I read my Kindle, kept one hand on my chin, near my center-line, wondering if I was about to end up in the newspapers.”
“After flying our Soviet-manufactured aircraft most of which had center-line weapons, our pilots were uncomfortable with the wing mounting of all the weapons—two cannons and four machine guns—of the Spitfire Mk.”
“At least 90 to 95% of the time, we FDLers are standing right on the center-line of the Constitution of the United States, hollering for the current government to make its way back to where it belongs, right here with us.”
“June 15th, 2006 at 6:57 pm lotus sez at least 90 to 95% of the time, we fdlers are standing right on the center-line of the constitution of the united states, hollering for the current government to make its way back to where it belongs, right here with us.”
“RICHARD TRULY, SHUTTLE ASTRONAUT: It was so shared that when we stopped, Joe pushed on the left brake and I pushed on the right brake and the Enterprise stopped right on center-line.”
‘center-line’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for center-line.