American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To beat or compress into a thin plate or sheet.
- v. To divide into thin layers.
- v. To make by uniting several layers.
- v. To cover with thin sheets.
- v. To split into thin layers or sheets.
- adj. Consisting of, arranged in, or covered with laminae.
- n. A laminated product, such as plywood.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To form into a lamina or plate; beat out thin.
- To form with or into laminæ or layers; divide into plates or leaves: as, a laminating- machine.
- To part or become divided into laminæ; separate into thin layers or plates: as, mica laminates on exposure to heat.
- Having the form of lamina or thin plate; leaf-like: as, the laminate coxæ of some beetles.
- Disposed in, consisting of, or bearing laminæ, layers, or scales; laminar; scaled; scaly: as, laminate structure in geology; a laminate surface; the laminate tarsi of a bird.
- v. To assemble from thin sheets glued together.
- v. To cover something flat, usually paper, in adhesive protective plastic.
- n. Material formed of thin sheets glued together.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Consisting of, or covered with, laminæ, or thin plates, scales, or layers, one over another; laminated.
- v. To cause to separate into thin plates or layers; to divide into thin plates.
- v. To form, as metal, into a thin plate, as by rolling.
- v. To form by uniting two or more layers (in sheet form) of a material, so that the layers are bonded tightly.
- v. To unite (layers in sheet form) by bonding, so as to create a single object with multiple layers; -- used with the material in sheet form as the object.
- v. To separate into laminæ.
- n. a sheet of material made by bonding two or more sheets or layers
- v. cover with a thin sheet of non-fabric material
- v. press or beat (metals) into thin sheets
- v. split (wood) into thin sheets
- v. create laminate by bonding sheets of material with a bonding material
“Hand-carved wooden furniture is far superior to laminate, which is seen in most store-bought furniture today.”
“He was dressed identically to his junior companions - sneakers, jeans, T-shirt, teeth - but his laminate was a loudly important red.”
“The laminate is the most prestigious as it is the same pass that band members have.”
“Mohawk also makes high quality laminate, which is an economical alternative to wood flooring.”
“I'd be willing to bet there was some kind of laminate involved with the binder pages -- yes?”
“We discovered that the bottom cabinets are taller than the old ones and the quartz counter top is thicker than the old laminate which is about an inch too much to allow me to keep my big Kitchen Aid mixer on the counter.”
“If you "laminate" your proxy set, re-do your statistical model in steps, and then compose your final answer in steps a la MBH, would you call that a splice or a lamination?”
“There is some kind of laminate on it because it is very smooth.”
“Only elephants and capybaras (large rodents) have teeth with this kind of laminate structure, but those of capybaras are no longer than five centimeters (two inches)," while the fossil measured 12 centimeters, said paleontologist Mario Cozzuol in the daily Folha de Sao”
“All of the condominium homes are equipped with desirable features such as laminate countertops in the kitchens and master bathrooms, Kitchen Craft 42-inch oak cabinetry, corner fireplaces, soaring 9-foot ceilings, Dal ceramic tile in the master bathrooms, security systems with intercoms and private balconies or terraces.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘laminate’.
All the scientific words found in the official EU nomenclature. For the screening I used Vocabgrabber of the Visual Thesaurus.
includes words of the "Prodcom list"
A class of words I'm interested in. It'll be a short list I think, but I think I've not thought of them all. I like that they're used both as adjectives and as verbs; and that they speak to the rel...
My big word list.
words pertaining to the root spe- (hope) with some allegorical liberties.
Concise words to sprinkle in my prose.
Looking for tweets for laminate.