from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The process or art of producing designs on wood, leather, or other materials by using heated tools or a fine flame.
- n. A design made by this process.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the art of decorating wood or leather by burning designs into its surface with the tip of a heated tool
- n. a decoration so produced
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A process of printing, ornamenting, or carving, by burning with heated instruments. One variant is wood burning.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A method of reproducing a design or an inscription on wood by the application under pressure of heated metallic plates or cylinders, the surfaces or peripheries of which bear dies or matrices in relief.
- n. The process of burning a design or inscription on wood, leather, or other substance by means of a heated point which is held or guided by the hand.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of producing drawings on wood or leather by using heated tools or a fine flame
pyro- + -graphy (Wiktionary)