from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to rock that exhibits a layered structure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Having a structure of thin layers
- adj. Decorated with foliage
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Having leaves, or leaflike projections.
- adj. Containing, or consisting of, foils.
- adj. Characterized by being separable into thin plates or folia.
- adj. Laminated, but restricted to the variety of laminated structure found in crystalline schist, as mica schist, etc.; schistose.
- adj. Spread over with an amalgam of tin and quicksilver.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Spread or beaten out into a thin plate or leaf.
- Covered with a thin plate or foil.
- Consisting of plates or laminæ; resembling or in the form of a plate; lamellar: as, a foliated structure.
- In art: Decorated with leaf-shaped ornaments, or with ornaments whose disposition and form are suggestive of foliage. Cut into leaf-shaped divisions or irregularities of outline.
- In architecture, containing foils: as, a foliated arch.
- In heraldry, decorated with foliations or lobes; growing into or decorated with natural leaves.
- In music, having notes added above or below: said of a plain-song melody.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (especially of metamorphic rock) having thin leaflike layers or strata
- adj. ornamented with foliage or foils
Sorry, no etymologies found.