from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to leaves.
- adj. Shaped like a leaf.
- adj. Geology Foliated.
- transitive v. To hammer or cut (metal) into thin leaf or foil.
- transitive v. To coat (glass, for example) with metal foil.
- transitive v. To furnish or adorn with metal foil.
- transitive v. To separate into thin layers or laminae.
- transitive v. To decorate with foliage or foils: an arch that is foliated in the Gothic style.
- transitive v. To number the leaves of (a manuscript, for example).
- intransitive v. To produce foliage.
- intransitive v. To split into thin leaflike layers or folia.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. of or relating to leaves
- adj. shaped like a leaf
- adj. foliated
- v. To form into leaves.
- v. To beat into a leaf, or thin plate.
- v. To spread over with a thin coat of tin and quicksilver.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Furnished with leaves; leafy; as, a foliate stalk.
- transitive v. To beat into a leaf, or thin plate.
- transitive v. To spread over with a thin coat of tin and quicksilver.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To beat into a leaf, thin plate, or lamina; shape or dispose like a leaf; divide into foils or leaves.
- To spread over with a thin coat of tin and quicksilver, etc.: as, to foliate a looking-glass.
- Beaten into the form of a leaf or thin plate; foliated.
- In botany, leafy; furnished with leaves: as, a foliate stalk.
- In zoology, expanded in a leaf-like form; foliaceous.
- In architecture: To adorn by means of foliation. See foliation, 7.
- To divide, as an arch, into smaller arches or foils. See foil, 7.
- Arranged in foliations: said of a pattern: divided into foliations: said of a bounding line or outline.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. hammer into thin flat foils
- adj. (especially of metamorphic rock) having thin leaflike layers or strata
- v. decorate with leaves
- v. number the pages of a book or manuscript
- adj. ornamented with foliage or foils
- v. grow leaves
- adj. (often used as a combining form) having or resembling a leaf or having a specified kind or number of leaves
- v. coat or back with metal foil
Latin foliātus, bearing foliage, from folium, leaf; see folium.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)